Very detailed view of the “PRESIDENT’S HOUSE, WASHINGTON” from The History and Topography of the United States of America - “drawn on spot and engraved on steel expressly for this work”. Steel engraving with later hand-coloring. (Ref: Reps, Washington on View, pp. 72-73). Image size: 3 3/4 x 5 3/4''.
Published in New York by John Tallis & Co., c. 1850.
This view depicts the “President’s House” (as the White House was then called) from the southwest – showing the semicircular south portico that was completed in 1824. Pavilions were built on each side (just the west is seen here), which were conceived by Jefferson, while president, to provide space for the household & official work.
Presented in an archival 11 x 14'' mat