A fine original mezzotint engraving of “The Revd. John Hewlett” painted and published by Harry Ashby. Original mezzotint engraving, published in London, 1795.
John Hewlett (1762-1844) was a prominent biblical scholar in nineteenth-century Britain. Hewlett was born in Dorset, England. After becoming a minister, he was admitted as a sizar to Magdalene College, Cambridge After graduating, he established a school in Shackelford, Surrey. Around 1802, he sold the school and accepted the position of morning preacher at the Foundling Hospital in London.
Hewlett was appointed rector of Hilgay, Downham, Norfolk in 1819 and served as professor of belles-lettres at the Royal Institution of Great Britain. He is buried in the catacombs of the Foundling Chapel.
Hewlett published on classical art; his renowned Vindication of the Parian Chronicle (1789), discussed the Arundel marbles. After the death of George Gregory, he continued publishing a newly edited Bible serially. He published numerous books of sermons and theology as well as an Introduction to Reading and Spelling (1816). His most important work, however, was his edition of the Bible (1812), which included five volumes of commentaries (1816).
Harry Ashby (fl. late 18th/early 19th century) was a portrait painter who exhibited at the Royal Academy 1794-1836. (Ref: Benezit).
Plate size is approximately 15 x 11 inches.