“LA PRINCIPAVTE D’ORANGE…” Amsterdam: Willem J. Blaeu, c. 1635 (dated 1627 in the cartouche). Fine engraved folio map with original hand-coloring, a couple of soft creases adjacent to the original centerfold... Verso text: Latin. Note that North is oriented at the bottom of the map! (Image size : 15 x 19 ½’’) .
This very attractive early 17th century map depicts the Vaucluse Region in southeastern France. Avignon became the seat of the Papacy 1309-77. At that time, Avignon was not on French soil but belonged to vassals of the pope. Avignon was purchased by Clement VI, the fourth of seven Avignon popes, in 1348 from Queen Joan of Provence and remained papal property until the French Revolution.
Most towns, cities, forests and waterways are identified including the ancient cities of Carpentras, Vason-la-Romaine and Orange. The beautiful and elaborate title cartouches and coats-of-arms further enhance the map.
Blaeu was founder of the leading 17th century Dutch cartographic firm. “The achievements of the firms of Blaeu were remarkable, & the palm for supremacy in map production in any age must be awarded to the Blaeu” (Tooley: Maps & Map-Makers, p. 33).