“TRUXILLO.” from De Nieuwe en Onbekende Weereld by Arnoldus Montanus. Amsterdam, 1671. Original copper-plate engraving from “the first encyclopedia of the Americas” (Schwartz & Ehrenberg, The Mapping of America, p.118). (Image: 10 ¾ x 13 ¼’’)
This detailed view depicts the harbor of “Truxillo” (Trujillo) - an important ancient port situated on the northern shore - once rich with gold mines.
“Defended on that side which respects the Sea, with a thick Wall of 6 Foot high…a narrow & steep way leading up to the City, which hath a strong Gate, guarded with 2 Brass Guns, & sufficiently Fortifi’d to oppose the Enemy…The Castle in which the City Store is kept, joyns to the Wall…within the Town appears St. Francis Church; but the Cathedral call’d Eglesia Major is seen above all other Buildings…Behind the City, where it lies open, are exceeding high Mountains” (text).
The views from this important series served as an illustrated compendium of the discoveries, conquests, and settlements in the New World. (Reference: Deák, Picturing America, #50-51).